The Director of the CIEE Global Institute – Paris is responsible for the quality and success of CIEE programs offered in Paris, with overall responsibility for the management of all aspects of the Global Institute, ensuring the highest levels of quality and customer satisfaction. Global Institutes are an innovative platform providing access to study abroad opportunities to a wide range of students through programs such as Open Campus Block. OCB enables students to design a program from six to 36 weeks, in up to three different locations per semester. Additionally, the Global Institute— Paris hosts college-level faculty-led and custom programs, internship opportunities, a direct-enroll program in French and Critical Studies, summer, and January term courses. All programs are defined by the highest standards of educational quality, rigorous coordination among Global Institutes locations world-wide, and providing access to students of diverse backgrounds. The Director works closely with a core management team who are responsible for the effective, timely, and on-budget delivery of these program aspects:
Academic Program: Ensure that the academic department meets its goals in the planning and delivery of the CIEE Paris academic programs (semester, January-term, summer), direct enrollment programs at local universities, high school, faculty and custom-led programs, internship-based academic programs, and other programs as needed. This includes but is not limited to overseeing the hiring of qualified academic faculty; evaluating faculty through classroom observations and student evaluations; providing faculty development opportunities; the timely and accurate production of course syllabi and materials; ensuring faculty make effective use of the CIEE learning management system (Canvas); student advising and course registration activities, final registration, student grade report preparation and submission, and requests for special academic exceptions, complaints, appeals, etc.
Student Services: Ensure that the student life team meets its goals in the development and oversight of student services, including but not limited to pre- departure orientation, on-site orientation, program excursions and overnight study tours (planned in conjunction with the academics department), volunteer opportunities, cultural and social activities supporting experiential and embedded intercultural learning, personal counseling, conflict resolution and discipline, implementation of CIEE health, safety, and security protocols and procedures.
Human Resources: Maintain overall responsibility for all Global Institute staff and faculty; plan and execute a strategy to fill key center positions necessary for the delivery and development of programs and all operations of the Global Institute; lead team in the coordination and satisfactory execution of their duties; create and maintain a highly positive, collaborative work environment among the various units; assure compliance with local employment law as well as CIEE employment policies and procedures.
Health and Safety: Work with staff to ensure compliance with CIEE standards for health and safety, which include monitoring events in community related to health and safety risks; writing annual emergency action plan and threat assessment covering health and safety information for students, staff, and facilities; securing appropriate medical and professional services; adhering to communication and incident reporting protocols; maintaining emergency preparedness processes, staff training; communicating to participants applicable codes of conduct and taking appropriate action when they are in violation.
Program Evaluation: Oversee the management of the student evaluation processes, including evaluations of the program as a whole, of individual courses, and of faculty, and providing timely action plans in response to evaluations; help facilitate the visits of sending institution and evaluation teams (providing information, coordinating their schedules, establishing appropriate local contacts, setting up group and/or individual meetings with students); prepare program reports at the conclusion of each term.
Financial and Legal Management: Serve as managing director of the legal entities and assume related responsibilities; ensure compliance with local tax and reporting requirements and with CIEE policies and procedures; maintain close contact with legal advisors on issues related to student immigration, employment practices, and governance and reporting requirements; maintain overall responsibility for annual budget and capital expenditure planning, monitor financial performance on a monthly basis; negotiate local host university financial protocols and fees and facility leases and other agreements; establish and oversee financial controls protocols; oversee cash flow management; assume bottom-line responsibility for budget margins.
Facilities and Housing Management: Ensure that the operations team achieves their goals related to the smooth and efficient operation and maintenance of the Global Institute classroom and office space. Oversee the management of service contracts and purchasing, preventative maintenance schedules, fire safety compliance, office management, classroom and event space allocation, IT, security, and other related areas. Ensure that sufficient and appropriate student housing and homestay opportunities are secured, mindful of budgetary considerations.
External Relations/Community Engagement: Ensure the development and implementation of strategies to increase awareness of CIEE’s mission and goals throughout the Paris community, at the governmental, municipal, and local levels; engage and network with local business groups; and develop a comprehensive community relations plan in line with CIEE’s objective to foster significant exchange and interaction between CIEE students and members of all of the various community cohorts.
Marketing: Support the production of CIEE promotional materials by providing updates and content for catalogs, website pages, bulletins, handbooks, arrival information, orientation information, predeparture reading list, course syllabi, instructor CVs, and other information as requested.
Other: Oversee as needed in the development and implementation of new CIEE programs; participate as needed and possibly present at the CIEE Annual Conference, or at other professional meetings; engage in regular meetings with leadership of other Global Institutes and contribute to ongoing program and operational improvement; other duties as assigned.
Successful applicants will be seasoned professionals with at least three years’ experience in a leadershiprole within study abroad, international educational, or a related higher education institutional setting. APh.D. is preferred, while a Master’s degree is required. In addition, applicants with the followingexperience and skills are particularly sought:
- Leadership – Proven ability to build and lead a team through the complexities and challenges of abroad range of operational, programmatic, and student affairs issues in a constantly changing environment
- Staff management – Demonstrated ability to manage the performance of others and deliver strong results, through successful staff recruitment, training, development, goal setting,delegation and performance evaluation
- Financial management – Demonstrated experience developing and managing budgets,overseeing compliance in accounting and reporting processes, providing
periodic financial analysis to adjust forecasts, and delivering programs on budget.
• Student services – Extremely strong servicing skills and the ability to resolve issues fairly,expediently, and cost-effectively
• Academic culture – In-depth knowledge of and first-hand experience with U.S. and French academic institutions and their cultures and processes
• Interpersonal skills – Ability to engender the trust and confidence of a number of stakeholders and be able to deal effectively with a wide variety of often sensitive issues
• Superior written and verbal communication skills in English and French – Ability to communicate effectively with students, U.S. university partners, faculty, local authorities, and CIEE staff internationally. Must be able to understand, work through, and resolve a wide range of both business and academic issues.
Additional skills and experience:
- Ability to function well in a centrally coordinated institutional framework
- High tolerance for change, and the flexibility necessary to respond quickly and appropriately to changing circumstances
- Presentation, knowledge, background, and experience must be credible to local and U.S. administrators
- Maintain CIEE commitment to providing and preserving a safe and supportive environment in which individual ideas and uniqueness are recognized, valued and given the opportunity to grow
- Superior judgment when dealing with confidential information
- Exemplary ambassador of CIEE and its mission and programs
Please apply here: